Monday, June 8, 2009

Fort William World Cup

Hi All,

Just an update on how things went with the Fort William World Cup.

Practice on Friday and Saturday was not that great. I didn't get many practice runs because of a few mechanical problems. On Friday I busted a rim, my forks were playing up and I spent alot of time trying to get these problems sorted out before the qualifying run on Saturday afternoon. Saturday came around and I went up for my first run, 1/4 down the track I got a flat tyre. By the time I pushed back up the track to get the gondola back down to fix my tyre, it left me with only one practice run.

Qualifying turned out to be a dream come true. I qualified in 48th Position. My run was great with only a little problem of trying to get around a rider that had crashed. The track is long with alot of peddling. By the time you get to the last section, your legs are built up with lactic acid, your arms are numb and your trying all you can just to breathe. I managed to put up with the pain and did a time of 5:03:49. I knew I would have to improve on this time if I wanted to stay in the top 50's. I think I was in shock because not only had I made the finals, but to place 48th was something I've only ever dreamt about. My dream had turned into reality.

The finals:.
I was feeling really good... Got up early and had a good breakfast. I felt relaxed but a little nervious. I packed my bags and headed with Tam and Bernard to the track.

Wow what can I say about the finals?... I couldn't believe the amount of people there.. It was the biggest world cup I've ever seen. People lined the track, there were cameras everywhere, cow bells, horns, you name it and it was there.

Bernard and I headed up the hill for our final run. I knew in my mind what I had to do, and my focus was on my race plan. I lined up for my run and I have to admit that the nerves were starting to get to me. Once I hit that gate, everything changed and I just went for it... I had absolutly nothing to lose. My race run felt great and I crossed the line with a time of 4:56:45. I remember looking at the clock and seeing my time. My name had 4th place beside it. I think I was shocked for a while.. I knew I had done well but didn't expect to pull out such a fast time. My finals time was 9 secs quicker than my qualifing time. I didn't know how I made up 9 secs. I could only dream of a top 50 in the past. To finish 39th out of 82 of the best riders in the world, was and is a dream come true.

We are now heading to Kranjska Gora, Slovenia for the European Champs. Will write more when I find some internet.

Cheers
Rhys





Another Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment